October 15, 2012

Homemade Granola Bars

Homemade Granola Bars via http://munchimunch.blogspot.com/

Since my last batch of snacks, Pumpkin Oatmeal with Pecan Cookies, for class were finished so quickly, I had to make something new.  I wanted to make something with more crunch involved.  I decided to give granola another try.

The first time I tried to make granola, my granola wouldn't clump together.  I made a huge batch and ended up using it loose on top of yogurt, applesauce, oatmeal, my morning cereal and more.  This time around, I wanted something I could grab for the road and also autumn related.  This was remedied by adding more binders as suggested by Maria from Two Peas & Their Pod and by using pumpkin seeds.

The granola bars were a success!  Thanks Maria!

After looking through some recipes, I decided to base my recipe off Alton Brown's Granola Bar RecipeBaker Street's Cocoa Hazelnut Granola, and Emily's Homemade Granola Bar Recipe.

Homemade Granola Bars

Makes 12 bars

Homemade Granola Bars via http://munchimunch.blogspot.com/

3 cups of coats
¾ cup pumpkin seeds
¾ cup crushed cashews (I bought whole cashews and crushed them with the back of a pan.)
½ cup dried cranberries (I used Craisins
¾ cup honey 
¼ oil (I used extra virgin olive oil.)
2 tablespoons molasses
4 tablespoons butter
¼ cup brown sugar
¼ teaspoon sea salt
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon ground ginger
½ teaspoon ground cloves

Homemade Granola Bars via http://munchimunch.blogspot.com/

1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. 
2. Lightly toast your oats, pumpkin seeds, and crushed cashews on a cookie sheet for 10 to 15 minutes, stirring every so often.  
3. Meanwhile, mix the honey, oil, molasses, butter, brown sugar, salt, cocoa powder, cinnamon, ground ginger and ground cloves in a small saucepan on low heat until everything has been melted and is well combined.  
4. By this time, your oats and nuts mixture should be toasted.  Remove from the oven and reduced the temperature to 300 degrees F.  
5. Add the toasted oats and nuts as well as the dried cranberries into the liquid mixture and stir until everything has been nicely covered.  
6. Prepare a 9" x 13" baking dish by covering with foil or parchment paper which has been buttered so that your granola will not stick.  
7. Pour the sticky mixture onto the foil or parchment and press down firmly ensuring that your granola bars will not break apart.  Be careful, it's a bit hot!
8. Place back into the oven at 300 degrees F for about 25 minutes.  
9. Once done, removed from the oven and allow to cool down completely before cutting.  

Homemade Granola Bars via http://munchimunch.blogspot.com/

Enjoy~
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...