Not to mention, there are tons of flavor combinations. Muna of MunatyCooking created a Chocolate and Orange Biscotti and I thought to continue this trend with Chocolate with Almonds and Chocolate Chip Biscotti!
Chocolate with Almonds and Chocolate Chip Biscotti
Makes approximately 40 pieces
1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
3/4 cup cocoa
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 large eggs
1 cup brown sugar, with an additional tablespoon for sprinkling
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1 cup of sliced almonds
1 cup of dark chocolate chips
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and prepare your cookie sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt and mix until incorporated.
3. In a separate bowl, mix the eggs, brown sugar, and extracts.
4. Add the wet mixture to the flour mixture and mix until combined.
5. Add the almonds and dark chocolate chips to the dough and slowly incorporate.
6. Divide the dough into two equal parts.
7. On a lightly floured surface, carefully roll each part of dough into a log that is slightly shorter than the length of your cookie sheet and approximately 3 to 4 inches wide.
8. Flatten until each log is about 1/2 inch in height.
9. Sprinkle with the additional brown sugar.
10. Bake for approximately 25-30 minutes.
11. Remove from the oven and allow to cool on a rack for about 10 to 15 minutes.
12. Cut each log diagonally in 1/2 inch thick pieces.
13. Place each cut piece back on the cookie sheet on one side and return to the oven for an additional 10 minutes for softer biscotti and 20 minutes for crisper biscotti.
14. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely before storing in an air tight container.
The first log I cut was a bit uneven in lengths so some biscotti ended up crisper than others. On my second log, I did a better job at keeping all the biscotti the same length and thickness.
I couldn't resist and had a piece right out of the oven so it was still a bit soft. After everything cooled down, the biscotti hardened. I savor my biscotti with a cup of Coffee with Sweetened Condensed Milk or a cup of hot tea.
How would you have yours?